Slow cooker chicken is one of those meals you can eat over and over again. It's one of my favorites on the list because it's so low effort and turns out delicious every time. You can also make your own beans to reduce costs if you want.
Total servings: 5 without sides, 5+ with sides
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 6 hours | Total Time: 6 hours 15 minutes
Nutrition facts per meal (with sides): 1662 calories, 128g protein, 232g carbs, 24g fat
rice cooker (if you don't want to cook your rice manually)
- chicken breast (raw) (3 lbs, approx 1358g), (2240 calories, 420g protein, 0g carbs, 48g fat)
- yellow onion (1 per 3 lbs of meat, approx 200g), (80 calories, 2g protein, 16g carbs, 0g fat)
- lime (1 large lime per 3 lbs of meat) (negligible nutrition facts)
- 1 container (preferably fresh) favorite salsa (16 oz, 450g), (120 calories, 0g porotein, 32g carbs, 0g fat)
- 1 bunch cilantro (~100g), (23 calories, 2g protein, 3g carbs, 0g fat)
- 3 cans black beans (30 oz, 780g), (1080 calories, 72g protein, 198g carbs, 0g fat)
- 3 cans pinto beans (30 oz, 780g), (810 calories, 45g protein, 171 carbs, 0g fat)
- cumin (2 teaspoons)
- garlic granules (2 teaspoons)
- onion granules (2 teaspoons)
- smoked paprika (1/2 teaspoons)
- chile powder (2 teaspoons)
- cayenne pepper (1/2 teaspoon)
- oregano (1 teaspoon)
- salt (1 teaspoon)
- pepper (1 teaspoon)
Nutrition total: 4353 calories, 541g protein, 420g carbs, 48g fat
Nutrition per meal: 870 calories, 108g protein, 84g carbs, 10g fat
- brown rice (cooked) (10 cups, approx 1950g), (2160 calories, 50g protein, 450g carbs, 18g fat)
- tortillas (10) (nutrition dependent on brand, as an example: 1800 calories, 50g protein, 290g carbs, 50g fat) I usually eat 2 burrito sized flour tortillas per meal in addition to the rice.
Nutrition total: 3960 calories, 100g protein, 740g carbs, 68g fat
Nutrition per meal: 792 calories, 20g protein, 148g carbs, 14g fat
- Open and drain all the cans of beans, we don't want extra liquid.
- Dice the yellow onion and cilantro.
- Trim your chicken breast and cut them in half length wise so they are thinner.
- Dump the beans, onions, cilantro, salsa, and spices into your crock pot then stir them all up.
- Juice the lime into this mixture.
- Add the chicken breast and stir to combine.
- Cook on high for 6 hours, at the 4 hour mark start your rice.
- At the 5 hour mark take the top off and use two forks to shred the chicken then mix it back in.
- Season to taste, you will most likely need more salt.
- In the event you have too much liquid you can always transfer it to a large pot/pan and boil off the excess liquid.
- Serve over rice with the tortillas (or other sides) and top with anything you want, for extra calories you can add on diced avocado, sour cream, or a variety of other things.
Please review my article on better brown rice prior to purchasing the above rice cooker if you want to have a lot of leftover rice.
Wooden Spoons (Amazon Affiliate link) <https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-Wooden-Spoon-3-Piece/dp/B008H2JLP8/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=bulkeats-20&linkId=3be1f99f3ff3085aea4a562d2d7c47cd>
As usual all weight/calories/protein for things like meat are taken in an uncooked state and will be noted as such since there's too many variables. All nutrition values are taken from a Google search such as yellow onion nutrition. This means that nutritional counts may be slightly inaccurate, these are all approximations.